Guest post by Linda Watson, Glenwood CAC.
Join the Glenwood Citizens Advisory Council (CAC) for a special meeting on August 27th from 6:30 to 9:00 pm. It’s an “Extreme Design Contest” focused on highlighting your knowledge of the new Unified Development Ordinance rules and regulations around zoning. Be bold. Design the party pad you’ve always wanted or the one you fear your neighbor will build.
Bring your entries and marvel at others in the design competition that looks to help everyone understand the intended and unintended consequences of Raleigh’s proposed new Unified Development Ordinance (or zoning code).
This competition will specifically look at the UDO’s provisions for backyard cottages, accessory apartments, attached dwellings, and detached dwellings. Similar events may be held to look at the mixed-use and infill rules.
Extreme Design Competition: How Far Can You Go with the UDO?
- Why: to be thrilled, horrified, and amused by the creative possibilities allowed by the UDO. Insights gained will be used to revise the UDO draft as needed so it puts us on a path toward its most livable and desirable future.
- What: show how far you can go with the UDO using 3-D models, illustrations, short videos, os simple “for rent” or “for sale” ads. Show how good or bad it can be in one of several categories such as sardine, bunker, urban farmer, crime boss, extended family, party time, tiny house, and green.
- Entry concept: Include at least one detached house or attached house on one or more lots within the Glenwood CAC boundaries, using or cottage court, backyard cottages, and accessory apartments as your vision demands and the UDO allows. See chapter 2 of the UDO for definitions. Details with examples coming tomorrow.
- When: Monday, August 27th from 6:30 to 9
- Where: Glen Eden Pilot Park, 1500 Glen Eden Drive, Raleigh NC
- Join on https://www.facebook.com/events/423225384385580/
- Email email@example.com if you’d like to help.