The path is being paved to add the Dorothea Dix campus as a major destination park in Raleigh’s Creative District. Adding Dix to our list of parks including Pullen Park, Lake Johnson, and miles of Greenways to explore, only secures Southwest Raleigh as the best place to live, work, learn, and play in the Triangle area.
The North Carolina Council of State voted 7-2 yesterday approving the lease of the Dorothea Dix Hospital campus to the City of Raleigh. Then Raleigh City Council voted 7-1 to approve the lease.
Supporters of the park, Dix 306, posted on their site, “THANK YOU! Dix Park IS A Reality.”
“This is a historic moment for North Carolina, the City of Raleigh, and the Capitol City’s Creative District! In combination with Pullen Park, over three hundred acres of park land will serve the citizens of Raleigh and throughout North Carolina for generations to come,” said Thomas Crowder, District D Raleigh City Councilor. “Now the work begins to plan, design, and construct a world-class destination urban park worthy of the City of Oaks!”
Here’s some of the news coverage.
- Council of State Approves Dix Property Proposal (Governor’s office)
- City Council Approves Dix Lease Agreement (City of Raleigh)
- NC, Raleigh councils OK lease to create Dix park (ABC 11)
- City Council approves Dorothea Dix lease agreement (NBC 17)
- State, city leaders approve Dix park (N&O)
- Raleigh City Council Approves Dix Lease Agreement (New Raleigh)
- Historic Dix Vote Paves way for Raleigh’s Central Park (New Raleigh)
- Dix to Become Raleigh Park (Raleigh Public Record)
- State, Raleigh agree on lease of Dix campus for major park (WRAL)